Thursday, November 10, 2011

Last Port of Call

And then there was Tlaloc's Book. Funny story, the person who named the game absolutely hated the project, and may have wanted to kill it with an unpronounceable name. The name stuck despite nobody actually liking it, or being able to say it out loud.


Tlaloc's Book is another Unity port of a game developed by a contractor. They originally created it in Flash. After trying to play the original version, I found it was so broken that I don't think I ever even looked at the original source code. I'm not sure what they were using for physics there, but it was absolutely insane. We ended up just looking at the original levels and replicating all the functionality from scratch in Unity. We were actually able to reuse all but two of the characters from one of our other games (see Puppetman below). That saved me quite a bit of time modeling, and rigging, but I had to do a different set of animations. I actually had a pretty good time on some of the 3d work for this one.

No comments: